I believe that the Universal Language is the connection between all things. InThe Alchemist, there is a suggestion that there is more than one universal language as seen on page 64, “...maybe he was also learning the universal language that deals with the past and present of all people.” On page 121, it states that “...my horse knows the language of life.” While in this case the word universal was not used before it, the book still suggested two languages that could potentially build up along with others to create the Universal Language. “The world speaks many languages, the boy thought (89). The King of Salem stated that, “All things are one.” Perhaps each of the, respectfully, less significant languages combined are the Universal Language, the unspoken understanding of the threads that links this world together stitch by stitch. Santiago said that people used the Universal Language to communicate but were not aware that they were doing it (49). This suggests that the Universal Language was not something we brought into existence but something eternal, perhaps originating from the remnants of the Soul of the World within every thing and everyone (101). On page 82, The Alchemist states that, “But there was one idea that seemed to repeat itself throughout the books: all things are the manifestation of one thing only.” Clearly, the Universal Language has an origin, but I don't believe it to be only within the Soul of the World because that was suggested to be where men become one with the afterlife (101). As seen with Santiago, the Englishman, and the alchemist, being aware of the Universal Language is something a living person can do. The book also suggested that since Santiago knew the Soul of the World, it allowed him to learn to speak the Universal Language(109).
The idea of having a Universal Language that connects everyone reminds me much of Buddhism because Buddhists, among other things, seek to become one with the world. There is an energy that lives both within us and outside of us that is one and yet, we regard them as separate entities. Personally, I believe that space is much like a puzzle within a puzzle that contains yet another underlying puzzle. Each puzzle piece contains a puzzle in itself and so on and so forth. If this confuses anyone, I will add an image that could help ease your understanding. This combined with the Universal Language to me pointed towards the Universal Language being the expression of unity. I am not sure what omens are yet. I found it interesting when the Englishman said on page 72 that, “Everything in life is an omen.” Perhaps omens are everything and everyone since we are all reactions off of one another whether it be a person or a thing.
Omens by definition are signs or warnings for either good or evil. Therefore, I believe that everything in life is an omen, since if you analyze everything in life, you will find that it is a sign for either good or evil. I was also wondering if you believe that Santiago and the Englishman actually know the Universal language or do they just think they know it?
ReplyDeleteI don't think omens are only signs if good or evil. They can be good or evil signs, but they can also just be signs that aren't necessarily one or the other.
Deleteive heard the same thing about reapers maybe they are connected
Deleteomens are more foretelling traits that an event or sequence of events has rather than a sign that has affiliation. people love items with superstitious history because they are believed to posses the ability to draw good luck to the owner of said item; but they fear items that are believed to bring bad luck. people believe omens bring both good and bad but they don't cause it.
DeleteI think that an omen is basically an event that foreshadows a future event. I do not think that omens are necessarily good or bad.
DeleteI really love this. I'll think of a more sophisticated comment later, but I just wanted to say, I really enjoyed reading this.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both Isabella's blog post, and Matthew's comment, but, I did have one concern. Since an omen is a sign of good or evil, what would one make of something that doesn't fall under a category of good or evil? For example, an animal. He chances of a deer acting aggressively toward a human is slim compared to the chances of it running away, so, would the omen be there? Is it good, or is it bad?
ReplyDeletei love how you can just express your range of views on the universal language it's amazing
ReplyDeleteI think that the Universal Language is basic bodily motions and actions that explain what you mean instead of a deeper language that is under everything like what you think. I like your though of it better though so I'm going to use that from now on if you dont mind me stealing it as long as I give you credit :P
ReplyDeleteMy take on the "Universal Language" is that it's really just mutual understanding conveyed through body language. Whenever Santiago and another person use it, it is in some situation where everyone has knowledge of what could likely be the outcome of that given situation. It's similar to how, when something happens that both you and your friend know the outcome of, you'll look at each other in a similar way that reflects both of your thoughts through your facial expressions. I liked your idea, though- we'll probably be seeing it (and ideas like it) in future seminars, as it provokes more discussion than some other interpretations of the Universal Language.
ReplyDeleteI think that the universal language is love because every one has some connection to it so everyone can relate to it. I think it is conveyed through body language like Brayden said and that we will be seeing it more during seminars and in later books.
ReplyDeletei feel that the universal language is a unconscious body movement allowing other to comprehend what you are saying without having to listen to everything your saying
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting concept, that all the world has its own language. What would you even call that? Worldese? It seems that in The Alchemist the omens are communicated in the language of the world, and those who understand the language of the world speak to the omens.
ReplyDeleteWow mind blown. Amazing job I loved how you referenced so many pages in the book. Really good job
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIs anyone familiar with the story of the Tower of Babel? The people of the world are attempting to get to god by building a tower into heaven. God destroys their plan by fragmenting the language they used into many languages and dialects. So, what does that mean in regards to a universal language? Do you think that they are perhaps referencing the same thing? Has the syntax or lexiconography changed since then?
ReplyDeleteI feel as though this statement is very true! I think that it could, in a way, relate to Buddhist, and I like how you compared it to Buddhist. I completely agree with you. I also don't understand the omens completely.
ReplyDelete