There's a certain kind of curiosity that comes with learning something that most assume to be already known- their own language. We speak English every day and yet, we don't really know. We don't know every crack and crevice of English nor the history of it. Language is an art form, much like clay or paint. You can mold it to create a masterpiece, a disaster, or something in between. I wish to hone the skill of creative writing in an analytical way.
Nonfiction has fascinated me ever since the day I read my first biography in second grade on Duke Ellington. I've always longed to write but, well, everything I write is over exaggerated and my wording can be a bit pretentious at times despite being unintentional. I want to write in a way that expresses what I mean concisely yet manages to snag all of those secretly craved details. The problem with this is that there is a very fine line between just enough and too much. I would like to learn how to write creative nonfiction in a way that allows me for to keep my writing style but gets to the point.
Writing analytically has never been my strong point considering my tendency to be excessive with adjectives and to make everything philosophical. If unbiased writing is possible to attain, then I wish to attain it. There is a distinct separation in my thoughts and emotions and yet, I struggle with finding it. This reflects in my writing. I think that I need to sort this out in my mind first and yet, maybe writing without emotion could aid me in my goal towards being able to control my emotions. Poetry is also another genre I seek to write better.
I hope we can write and read more poetry. There is a place in my heart reserved for poetry and yet I don't have much knowledge on it. While I do research it outside of school, I would like to learn about it in school too. Plus, you're funny and intelligent. You make me want to learn even more then I do already. Basically, I'd like to write true things in a creative way.
No comments:
Post a Comment