My interview subject was Vic Samuels. I found that he was not the man I expected him to be. He did not go into the fact that he was a rags to riches prodigy, or the fact that he was filthy rich. No, he was not overly prideful. In fact, he was a humble man who did not even mention his business. He was a man who, when faced with his childhood predicament, did not blink an eye. Born in a small Texan town, he moved to Houston at a young age. His family lived in Montrose, where he continued to take residence for the rest of his years. But, there was so much more to this man than his success.
I am a fourteen year old girl who is ignorant to the world around her. I'm not going to lie. I don't know as much as I'd like. This man possessed the knowledge and leadership I have always longed to claim as my own. No, not the kind of knowledge you find in a textbook. It's the kind of knowledge you find in doing things to help others, the happiness that you possess for doing a good thing. He combined this love of helping others with his natural leadership abilities to help change HISD. His family was one of the first to go against segregation in Houston as well as to initiate integration of black and white students.
I did not anticipate just how much this guy loved to talk. It was about ten times as much as me, and I rarely manage to shut my mouth. However, it was brilliant. I asked him one question, and he went on for thirty minutes. My interview did not go to plan, but it was a success nonetheless. Next time, I want to have a wide variety of questions that give me a broad range to choose from in case we go off topic.
It sounds like you got a really fantastic opportunity to meet a fascinating and accomplished individual! If you work as hard as Vic Samuels, you could certainly have the same level of knowledge and leadership as Mr. Samuels.
ReplyDelete