Sunday, November 24, 2013

European Painting: A Reflection

 

     I never thought I would stumble upon a painting that possessed this much beauty. The flowers were painted so realistically and with such precision as to fool the eye. If this had not had a frame around it and my gaze so close, I would have thought this to be a photograph. And yet, the emotion that it evoked from me was one I did not expect: hope.
      Here lies this vase of flowers adorned with the typical bug among a sea of darkness. Each individual flower is so bright, so hopeful compared to the darkness that has tainted the rest of the painting. It was as if Jan Von Hysum was trying to say that there is a light for every darkness, a flame for every night. And yet, the crawling of ants against a petals surface depicts a larger, harsher reality.
A reality that somethings rot from the inside rather than the out. That maybe, just maybe, a person can hurt themselves far worse than any outside force can.  This painting, to me, symbolizes that for every bad thing in life, there is a positive. And that, that gives me hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment